Fall Arts Fest Schedule
Friday, November 22, 2019
Blue Ridge Room in Highsmith Union
Dance performances will be in Blue Ridge South, all other performances in Blue Ridge North. Attendees will be able to move between the rooms freely.
Off-Campus visitors should review Visitor Parking guidelines for campus, in advance if possible. Closest lots for visitor permits are P17 and P26.
- 9:00-9:45 AM – Intergenerational Literature Readings
Students from the Odyssey School, along with UNCA students and Professors, will read their original writings.
- 10:00-10:30 AM – Paul Simon Ensemble
Under the direction of Matthew Richmond, this student ensemble performs the works of Paul Simon, celebrating the span of his compositions from his days with Art Garfunkel to his most recent recordings, including his many world music influences.
- 10:30-11:00 AM – Asheville Ballet & the UNCA Belly Dance Club
Members of the Asheville Ballet will perform The Snow pas des deux from The Nutcracker, and the UNCA Belly Dancing Club will perform contemporary and traditional Middle Eastern dances
- 12:00-12:30 PM – Army of Mars with New Media Projections
A three-piece faculty band plays original music while animations created by New Media students are projected on the screen behind the band.
- 12:45-1:45 PM – Mass Communication Film Screening
A screening of documentary and short films from Mass Communication Spring 2019 advanced production courses.
- 2:00-3:00 PM – She Kills Monsters Student Panel
The Creative Team of the TheatreUNCA’s Mainstage Senior Show She Kills Monsters will talk about their process and share what they learned.
- 3:00-3:30 PM – Contemporary & Traditional Dance and Drumming Performance
30 student dancers will present various pieces explored in the Dance curriculum and will wrap up with a traditional drum and dance performance by the Afro-Music & Dance Ensemble.
- 3:30-4:00 PM – Studio 18 Performance
Under the direction of Brent LaCasce, this contemporary jazz vocal ensemble performs a variety of modern works.
- 4:00-4:30 PM – Astor Piazzolla Ensemble
Under the direction of Andy Jurik, this student ensemble performs the works of Astor Piazzolla, who reconceived the traditional Argentinian tango into nuevo tango, incorporating elements of jazz and classical music.
- 10:00 AM-1:00 PM – “Old Media” Animation Activity Table – Highsmith Blue Ridge Lobby
Make hand-drawn animations using traditional media.
- 1:00-3:00 PM – Glass Work Demonstrations – Reed Plaza
The ARTS 310 Glass class will demonstrate glass techniques on Reed Plaza
- “Under the Covers” Book exhibit – Library
- Drama Department Design Exhibit – Highsmith Blue Ridge Lobby
An exhibit of costume and prop renderings and final pieces from TheatreUNCA’s Fall shows.
- Dreaming Chain – BFA Drawing Exhibition by K. Theo Stultz – Highsmith Intercultural Gallery
Off Campus Site:
- 4:00-7:00 PM – Art Department Ceramics Sale – Riverfront Property (Campus Shuttle Service Provided)
- Full Spectrum Faces – BFA Drawing Exhibition by Tiffany Jones – RAMP Gallery